Tuesday, July 13, 2010

a most magnificent rainy day

Yesterday, it finally rained.
It's about time--the humidity has been unbearable.

This summer, I've become pretty dedicated to walking the puppies. One of them, Lulu, loves going for walks. She wags her tail the entire time, keeping her hears up and smelling absolutely everything on our path. The other one, Izzy, is completely disinterested in our walks. He keeps his tail down and refuses to socialize with other dogs/people walking/Lulu. He is hilarious. Too bad for Izzy, because these walks are not optional for the puppies. I personally love our walks.


Lulu on a mission. She's about to herd those ducks.

Lately though, it's been so sticky and hot out that we have to wait until almost 9 to head outside to walk. These means that my entire family has a chance to sit down and watch Jeopardy! together, which rules, because we are all such nerds. Which, if you ask me, is a pretty great way to be.


Halfway point of our walks

Anyway, it's been so hot out that I haven't even really been enjoying being outside. Some evenings I try to take my ukulele out to play in the sunshine, which is fun and summery, but usually I've just been sticking to the (fixed, b"h) air conditioning! But, since it rained today, I convinced the kiddos I babysit to play outside. Everyday, I say, guys, let's go play outside! Or, hey kids let's go do sidewalk chalk/swim/run around/play frisbee/etc but they never really want to. So yesterday when I told them to put on their bathing suits in a torrential downpour, they thought I was being facetious.

They were wrong.

After they looked at me like I was completely and totally insane, I went and put on my bathing suit and collected beach towels to put as close to the door as possible. Rain can be quite chilly, people. I wasn't about to freeze my tuchas off after playing in the rain. Slowly but surely the kiddos decided I was serious, and then we proceeded to have what might have been the most fun hour of the summer we've had together.

look closely, and you'll see a house upside down in those rain drops.

All just by playing outside [in the rain]. It was awesome.




Plus, rain makes everything look prettier. Everyone's grass has been fried looking, and flowers have basically given up lately. So now everything is refreshed and ready for what is supposed to be a 94 degree scorcher.




In other news: it's almost my birthday =)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome update and completely stellar photos of post-rain gorgeousness. Clearly you are the best babysitter EVER. Also? My *dream* is to watch Jeopardy as a family. Jan is my idol once again. Xoxo Leigh Ann

    ReplyDelete